Museum für Post und Kommunikation, Berlin
- Leipziger Straße 16, D-10117 Berlin-Mitte, Berlin
The oldest postal museum in the world, Berlin's Museum für Post und Kommunikation (as it is now known) was founded in 1898, with origins dating back to the 1870s.
The Museum purchased specimens of the 'Post Office Mauritius' stamps in 1901 and 1903.
During the Second World War valuable items from the Reichspostmuseum (as it was then) had been first removed to the safety of a vault in the Reichsbank in Berlin, and early in 1945 were taken to a mineshaft in Eisleben. Some items were recovered after the war ended but the two 'Post Office' stamps did not surface until 1976 in the USA. They were finally returned to German custody in 1990.
Between the end of the war and reunification, both Germanys had established postal museums in East and West Berlin. These were eventually brought together, and after much renovation the new Museum für Post und Kommunikation opened in Berlin in 2000.
- One penny 'Post Office' stamp, used, obtained by the Reichspostmuseum, Berlin, through the agency of German dealer Philipp Kosack as an exchange.
- The French dealer Théophile Lemaire bought the Bordeaux letter bearing a single two pence 'Post Office' stamp for £1,200, and sold it to the German dealer Philipp Kosack for £1,400. Kosack then sold it to the Reichspostmuseum in Berlin.
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
- 'On Postal Museums', Supplement to Stamp Collecting, vol. 19, no. 11, 16 December 1922, p. xxiii. [ Details... ]
- 'German-made "Post Office Mauritius"', Stamp Collectors' Fortnightly, vol. 6, no. 137, 9 June 1900. [ Details... ]
- The original case containing two Post Office Mauritius and other rare stamps stolen from the Berlin Postal Museum
Created: 18 March 2006, Last modified: 1 July 2006