Post Office Mauritius (23), two pence, used (XXIII) (1847)
- Cover and Stamp
- Museum für Post und Kommunikation, Berlin
2d. Used on a folded letter. A piece is torn out of the O of OFFICE. The stamp is just touched at the lower left-hand corner by a double-lined ANGL / BOULOGNE / 27 DEC 47 postmark. In addition, the letter bears the following markings on the front: COLONIES & C. ART.13 in a rectangle, and the delivery charges in manuscript. On the back: a large double-lined circular postmark reading MAURITIUS POST… the rest of inscription and date are obscured by a BORDEAUX 29 DEC 47 circular postmark; a red circular English postmark, AL / 25DE25 / 1847, and another rectangular postmark which reads DE24 1847 / LIVERPOOL / SHIP.
- Used on a letter to Ducau & Lurguie at Bordeaux, sent ‘by Mischief via England’.
- Found by a French schoolboy when searching through the firm’s correspondence.
- Dealer Théophile Lemaire bought the letter for £1,200 and sold it to the dealer Philipp Kosack for £1,400. Kosack then sold it to the Reichspostmuseum, Berlin. For the letter’s subsequent history, see biography of VII.
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Related Cultural Artefacts
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 1 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1993. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 2 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1997. [ Details... ]
- 'Sonderausstellung Mythos Mauritius', Museumsstiftung Post und Telekommunikation, Bonn, c.2000. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 2, 29 February 1904, pp. 21-25. [ Details... ]
- Cohn, Ernst M., 'Perspectives on Expertisers', Fakes Forgeries Experts, no. 6, May 2003, p. 42–50. [ Details... ]
- Ibbotson, Peter, 'Arising from those Bordeaux Letters', Gibbons Stamp Monthly, June 1994, pp. 29-31. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., 'The Reichspostmuseum Rarities', Stamp Collecting, 24 November 1977, p. 1157, 1159. [ Details... ]
- 'The Twenty-third "Post Office" Mauritius', Stamp Collectors' Fortnightly, 9 May 1903, p. 38. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 3, 24 March 1904, p. 45. [ Details... ]
- Binder, David, 'Rare stamps from Nazi Hoard in Dispute', The Times, 12 November 1977, p. 1, 4. [ Details... ]
- 'Missing "Post Office" Mauritius', The Stamp Lover, vol. 47, no. 10-11, March-April 1955, p. 168. [ Details... ]
- The original case containing two Post Office Mauritius and other rare stamps stolen from the Berlin Postal Museum
- Quai des Chartrons, 26-27
- Helen Morgan
Created: 14 March 2006, Last modified: 21 August 2006