Tapling, Thomas Keay
- Post Office owner and Stamp collector
By the age of sixteen Thomas Keay Tapling was already a member of the Philatelic Society of London. Called to the Bar in 1880, his philatelic enthusiasm only strengthened with the increasing demands on his time, a reflection of the value of the hobby to him. Tapling took over the family business on the death of his father, and was elected to parliament in 1886. In 1881 he was made vice-president of the Philatelic Society to Judge Philbrick's president. Tapling was generous with his philatelic knowledge, in person and in print, and happy to make his stamps available for study. Working with his collection was a true recreation and source of pleasure, as was socialising with his fellow collectors.
His aim to complete an all-world general collection was largely met, and his collection now forms the basis of the philatelic collections held at the British Library. Naturally, Tapling owned both values of the Post Office stamps.
- Butler, A. Ronald, The History of the Roll of Distinguished Philatelists, The British Philatelic Federation Ltd, London, 1990. [ Details... ]
- '[Death of Tapling]', Stanley Gibbons, Limited, Monthly Journal, vol. 1, no. 10, 30 April 1891, pp. 229-31. [ Details... ]
- '[Collection of the late Tapling]', The Philatelic Record, vol. 13, no. 149, May 1891, pp. 93-97. [ Details... ]
- '[Death of Tapling]', The Philatelic Record, vol. 13, no. 148, April 1891, pp. 69-71. [ Details... ]
- 'The Tapling Collection', London Philatelist, vol. 12, no. 142, October 1903, pp. 229-30. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 438, June 1899, pp. 87-93. [ Details... ]
- 'Dinner to the Philatelic Society, London', The Philatelic Record, vol. 6, no. 71, December 1884, p. 223. [ Details... ]
- '[On the Tapling display]', London Philatelist, vol. 12, no. 142, October 1903, p. 230. [ Details... ]
- Thomas Keay Tapling
- c. 1887
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Created: 16 March 2006, Last modified: 29 August 2006