Mauritius, Post Paid Plates
- Stamp production
The Post Paid plates (one for each denomination - one penny and two pence) were engraved by Joseph Osmond Barnard sometime around 1848, and were re-engraved in the late 1850s by Robert Sherwin.
In 1911 the two Post Paid plates were discovered in a cellar in a government building in Mauritius and, on the point of being destroyed, were rescued by the then Governor, Sir Cavendish Boyle, who thought George V might like them. The King ordered that they be defaced to prevent fraudulent misuse (fine lines were drawn through them) and that they be presented to the Royal Philatelic Society,London, where they remain on display today.
Related Cultural Artefacts
- 'Presentation of the Post-Paid Plates of Mauritius to the Royal Philatelic Society by H. M. the King', London Philatelist, vol. 20, 1911, pp. 177-79. [ Details... ]
- 'Alleged Reprinting of the Early Mauritius Stamps', London Philatelist, vol. 2, September 1893. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius - Stamps', London Philatelist, vol. 2, September 1893. [ Details... ]
- 'The Old Copper Plates of Mauritius', Stanley Gibbons Monthly Journal, vol. 19, no. 224, 31 August 1911, pp. 277-78. [ Details... ]
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Created: 15 March 2006, Last modified: 8 July 2006