Post Office Mauritius (20), one penny, used (XX) (1847)
- Cover and Stamp
- Alternative Names
- Adam envelope
- Private hands
1d. Used. The stamp is cancelled with one impression of PAID in a rectangle. In addition, the cover bears a PENNY POST mark in a rectangle.
- Used on an envelope, which probably contained an entry card to Lady Gomm’s ball, addressed to ‘H. Adam Esq Junr’.
- Dealer Théophile Lemaire bought the envelope from Adam for £680. It was then bought for £800 by the British dealer W. H. Peckitt, who sold it to Henry Duveen for £1,080.
- W. H. Peckitt obtained both XX and VI from Duveen in part exchange for III and X. Peckitt then sold XX and VI to Dutch collector Henry Manus.
- The Manus collection was auctioned by Plumridge (Manus died in 1931) and both XX (£2,400) and VI (£1,750) were bought by dealer Tom Allen.
- 193 (?)
- Acquired by King Carol of Romania.
- Both XX and VI were sold privately through the agency of Harmer, Rooke & Co. Ltd to Belgian collector René Berlingin.
- Both XX and VI were offered for sale at Stanley Gibbons’s ‘Anphilex’ New York auction; the Adam ball envelope (XX) was bought by Hiroyuki Kanai for $174,000 (£73,000).
- Consigned with the Kanai Mauritius collection to David Feldman.
- Sold to an anonymous buyer.
- Auctioned by David Feldman in Zurich and sold for SFr.1,610,000 ($1,073,340).
- Auctioned by David Feldman in Zurich and sold for SFr.2,070,000 ($1,564,630).
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Related Cultural Artefacts
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 1 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1993. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 2 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1997. [ Details... ]
- 'Editorial [value of stamps on the market]', Philatelic Journal of Great Britain, vol. 43, no. 507, March 1933, p. 45, 55. [ Details... ]
- 'The Exhibition of the South African Colonies', London Philatelist, vol. 11, no. 132, December 1902, pp. 280-81. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 2, 29 February 1904, pp. 21-25. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 441, September 1899, pp. 141-42. [ Details... ]
- 'Post Office Mauritius by the Score', London Philatelist, vol. 8, no. 92, August 1899, pp. 208-09. [ Details... ]
Created: 14 March 2006, Last modified: 21 August 2006