Post Office Mauritius (16), one penny, used (XVI) (1847)
- Private hands
1d. Used. Heavily cancelled with an obliteration of parallel bars. The stamp is cut into on the right and has been repaired along the left-hand side.
- Used on a letter to Borchard at Bordeaux.
- Found by Madame Borchard.
- Madame Borchard exchanged the stamp with, or sold it to, a Bordeaux collector named Schiller.
- Dealer Marcel Pouget bought Schiller’s collection in January, then sold it to G. Kirchner for Fr.10,000 (£400) in April.
- Bought by Eugen Lentz for 9,000 marks (£450).
- date (?)
- Acquired by Russian collector Frederick Breitfuss (1851–1911), who formed the third greatest general collection, after Tapling and Ferrary, in the nineteenth century.
- Stanley Gibbons Ltd bought the Breitfuss collection.
- German dealer Philipp Kosack bought the stamp at auction and subsequently advertised it for sale.
- date (?)
- By 1914, Le Comte de Ramaix, of Antwerp, had paid Fr.18,000 for the stamp.
- Bought at auction by F. B. Smith in May and auctioned again in June by Harmer, Rooke & Co., when it was bought for cash, £480.
- date (?)
- Acquired by A. W. Cox some time between 1919 and 1933.
- 193 (?)
- Auctioned by Edgar Mohrmann.
- Auctioned by H. R. Harmer in June, described as ‘repaired’, and sold for £320. The sale was cancelled after the purchaser submitted the stamp to the expert committee of the Royal Philatelic Society London, who refused to give it a certificate. The stamp was again auctioned by H. R. Harmer in September and sold without guarantee to the dealer Dr Paul Wolf. German dealer Philipp Kosack then bought the stamp for about £500.
- Auctioned by Heinrich Köhler, in Berlin, after having changed hands several times in the interim.
- Auctioned by Heinrich Köhler and bought by a Bavarian philatelist for 29,700 marks.
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Related Cultural Artefacts
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 1 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1993. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 2 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1997. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 2, 29 February 1904, pp. 21-25. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 441, September 1899, pp. 141-42. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 438, June 1899, pp. 87-93. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 3, 24 March 1904, p. 45. [ Details... ]
Created: 14 March 2006, Last modified: 21 August 2006