Post Office Mauritius (12), two pence, used (XII) (1847)
- Private hands
2d. Used. Cancelled with what appears to be pdai in a rectangle and also part of a circular postmark reading PAUILLAC 2 JANVIER 1848.
- Used on a letter to Borchard at Bordeaux.
- Found by Madame Borchard, along with XI. Both stamps were acquired by the dealer Madame Desbois.
- Madame Desbois sold the stamps to one of Bordeaux’s major stamp collectors, Émile Lalanne.
- Piet Lataudrie bought Lalanne’s collection through the agency of Marcel Pouget for Fr.60,000 (£2,400) in July.
- E. Mors, of motor-racing fame, bought both stamps (XI and XII) for Fr.42,000 (£1,600).
- Both stamps (XI and XII) were bought by the dealer and collector Théodore Champion.
- 196 (?)
- Changed hands privately, together with other items from the Champion Collection.
- 198 (?)
- Bought by the French dealer Bernard Behr for his personal collection from an anonymous owner based in the US.
- Sold through Bernard Behr to a Western European collector (probably German).
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Related Cultural Artefacts
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 1 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1993. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 2 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1997. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 2, 29 February 1904, pp. 21-25. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 438, June 1899, pp. 87-93. [ Details... ]
- 'The Post-Office Mauritius', London Philatelist, vol. 5, no. 52, April 1896, p. 127. [ Details... ]
Created: 14 March 2006, Last modified: 21 August 2006