Post Office Mauritius (05), two pence, used (V) (1847)
- Cover and Stamp
- Alternative Names
- Caunten fragment
- Private hands
2d. Used, on piece of the original envelope, addressed to ‘H. Caunten, avocat, au Port Louis’. The stamp is cancelled with PAID in a rectangle and has been repaired at the foot.
- Used on a letter to H. Caunten at Port Louis.
- Henri Adam Junior obtained the piece from Caunten. Albert Rae then purchased it for 300 Mauritian rupees (£23).
- Rae consigned his collection to a Parisian dealer for Fr.12,500 (£500), from whom the ‘Post Office’ piece was bought by a certain Perrissin for Fr.4,000 (£160). (The Parisian dealer, according to Rae himself in Mauritius Illustrated in 1914, was a Monsieur Le Roy d'Etionnel, not Monsieur Ch. Roussin, as stated by Moens in 1899.)
- Offered for sale by Whitfield King & Co. at the London Philatelic Exhibition in May for £200, but not sold. Dorsan Astruc purchased the piece from Perrissin in June for Fr.3,500 (£140) – one of the few times a ‘Post Office’ was sold at a loss. P. Mirabaud purchased the piece from Astruc in July for Fr.3,750 (£150).
- date (?)
- Bought by the American George Worthington.
- Alfred Lichtenstein bought part of Worthington’s collection, including the Mauritius portion.
- Louise Boyd Dale inherited the Lichtenstein collection on the death of her father.
- The Dale-Lichtenstein collection was auctioned by H. R. Harmer (Boyd Dale died in 1967) and the piece was bought by Raymond H. Weill Co.
- Acquired privately by Hiroyuki Kanai from H. R. Harmer.
- Acquired by a German collector.
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Related Cultural Artefacts
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 1 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1993. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 2 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1997. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 2, 29 February 1904, pp. 21-25. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 438, June 1899, pp. 87-93. [ Details... ]
- 'Encore les Post Office de Maurice', Le Philatéliste Francais, no. 75, May 1900. [ Details... ]
- Nathan, Walter, 'Reminiscences of a Philatelist', Stamp Collectors' Fortnightly, vol. 6, no. 153, 19 January 1901, pp. 180-81. [ Details... ]
Created: 14 March 2006, Last modified: 21 August 2006