Post Office Mauritius (04), one penny, used (IV) (1847)
- Swedish Postal Museum, Stockholm
1d. Used. Cancelled with part of PAID in a rectangle. The upper left-hand corner has been added. There is a tear at the E of POSTAGE and another tear into the second F of OFFICE. The lower right-hand corner is damaged and there are several thin spots.
- Found by a Monsieur Noirel of Port Louis, Mauritius, among an auction lot of old newspapers purchased at a public sale, then purchased by T. Lionnet.
- Bought by dealer Jean-Baptiste Moens for Fr.100 (£4) in July, and sold to Arthur de Rothschild in October for Fr.500 (£20).
- Philipp von Ferrary bought Rothschild’s collection for Fr.140,000 (£5,600).
- Acquired by Warren H. Colson of the New England Stamp Co.
- date (?)
- Hans Lagerloef bought both IV and IX.
- Lagerloef gifted the two stamps to the Swedish Postal Museum in Stockholm.
Prepared by: Helen Morgan
Related Cultural Artefacts
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 1 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1993. [ Details... ]
- Williams, L. N., Encyclopaedia of Rare and Famous Stamps, vol. 2 of 2, David Feldman, Geneva, 1997. [ Details... ]
- 'Mauritius Post Office', Deutsche Briefmarken Zeitung, vol. 15, no. 2, 29 February 1904, pp. 21-25. [ Details... ]
- Moens, Jean-Baptiste, 'Encore les Post-Office de Maurice', Le Timbre-Poste, no. 438, June 1899, pp. 87-93. [ Details... ]
Created: 14 March 2006, Last modified: 21 August 2006